Wednesday, December 05, 2007

On breastfeeding again

I am still a little bewildered on BF. Alot of people I spoke to told me to feed baby on demand and then naturally the supply will come. But....how to BF on demand when we have to consume ginger and alochol stuff during confinement? The last time when I went for prenatal classes, the nurse mentioned that either you BF before you ate these "special food" or wait 2 hrs later to BF the baby. For very simple reason, ginger will probably increase the "seriousness" of jaundice (as we all know all babies no matter what will surely get jaundice in the initial period) and taking alochol will affect the quality of the breastmilk as the alochol will pass on to the baby when you BF (which is harmful to the baby).

If feeding on demand is the key to BF successfully then I really have a big problem here. How am I going to BF on demand when at the same time I have to consume food that will affect the well-being of my dear child? Sighhh.....

2 comments:

Mike said...

Dear Tracy,

What you should do is before you take all the gingery stuff and alcohol, pump your milk out first just in case Kaden needs it. A good breast pump does stimulate your milk production although Kaden is not the one sucking. But if he is awake give him the breast and encourage him to suck before you take the confinement food.

For me, I did not botherlah about the ginger and alcohol stuff. I bf Melvin and Matthew whenever they needed it.

Both of them were free from jaundice. I think whatever you eat during confinement must be in moderation including the ginger and alcohol although they are good for you.

See you soon.

May Kim

Tracemee said...

Maykim, thanks for calling last night. It really helps to calm my nerves down. I will tell auntie not to add too much ginger and alochol in my food. I havent bought the teats to feed the baby. Now I can go and buy with an ease mind. Thanks!

Writing Again

Its been a long time since I blogged about my family life. My last entry was actually in 2010. Gosh, thats almost 14 years ago. Life's b...