Friday, November 16, 2007

Breastfeeding

I didn’t succeed in BF Trenyce previously. Though I managed to do partial BF for the first 3 mths but by the 2nd mth, the supply was getting pathetic. I didn’t nurse her directly as I chose to pump the milk most of the time, thinking it will be the same. But it wasn’t. The lesser she was nursed, the lower the milk supply will be as the milk ducts are not stimulated as often as it should be.

I was actually quite upset initially because I have been reading so much on BF before Trenyce arrived and I knew the many benefits that BF can give my kids. My main aim is not to save money on formulas or slimming programs but more so on providing the best for my kids. I was veryvery sad, and getting worried, when Trenyce refused to latch on so hubby told me to pump the milk instead. That’s when I began my BF journey, pumping faithfully every 2 hrs…but as the day passes, the milk supply gets lesser and lesser. At the peak, I only managed to get 4 ounces of BM per day and at its low, just 1 ounce. So you can imagine how discouraged I am.

I really envy those who manage to do it successfully. For example, my sis-in-law and Shoppingmum.. My sis-in-law managed to nurse her two sons for at least 6 mths whereas Shoppingmum did it much longer. Yes I can turn to my sis-in-law for help on BF but she is not in Spore so its really difficult for me to get help from her. If only she's in S'pore huh……….

I guess there are a lot of reasons on the failure. Perhaps I didn’t know the techniques of latching her properly and so she got frustrated and fussed a lot whenever I tried to nurse her. Perhaps because I didn’t get help early. Perhaps because I am lack of support from people who actually nurse their kids as most people surrounded me didn’t nurse their kids and in a way, they didn’t "pressurize" themselves to do so. Perhaps and perhaps….there's just too many perhaps.

I am determine to succeed in BF this time as this is also probably the last time I am able to do so for my kid. For the moment, hubby and myself are quite contented with our 2 kids thuogh we would very much like to have 4 kids, so unless "accident" occurs otherwise this will jolly well be my last pregnancy. One colleague told me that one of the ways to make BF possible is to invest in good breastpumps (as everyone knows its not cheap!) so you will heartpain the money and die die make BF possible! Hahaha…..But I guess by not buying things that are "formula-friendly" i.e. milk bottle, formula milk…etc will also help to "push" myself harder to make BF succeed cos you wouldn’t want your baby to starve right?

So, perhaps I should do some shopping to get prepared for BF:
- Breastpumps (Shoppingmum pointed this web in her blog, click here)
- Nursing pillow
- Nursing Bras
- Nursing clothes
- Cooler bags
- Cool pads or ice bricks for milk storage
- Cups/bottles to store the breast milk
- Nipple cream

Of course, not forgetting that we must get the latch on technique correct. Thanks to Shoppingmum, she pointed breastfeeding.com in her blog. It gives very detailed latch-on steps.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Dear Tracy,

What I did for Matthew was the moment I popped him out safely into the world, I took a big cup of milkmaid tea, some biscuits and a cup of milo. I told the nurse that whenever the baby needs feeding, please bring him to me. I will just let him sucked like crazy. On my part I prayed like crazy that the milk supply would come quickly and it would be sufficient for him. In the beginning when the milk supply had not come yet, Matthew was fed with formula milk and I made sure he sucked on my breast first before he was given the bottle.

Michael was very supportive with the breastfeeding idea. So, that helps a lot. Some research in BF did mention that when the mom stayed calm and rested her milk supply will come quicker.

I bought a Mendela breast pump which cost me RM299 in 2002 for Melvin. I bought it because my breast was bursting with milk and I wanted to weaned Melvin from BF. I need a good breast pump to get the milk out from my breast because it was painful. So, I pumped it out and put into Melvin's trainer mug for him to suck.

I BF Melvin for 13 months and Matthew for 7 months. I can tell the initial stage of breastfeeding was difficult but once you get it, WOW! it is so easy wherever you go, you don't need to bring sterilizer, formula milk and bottles.

Love,
May Kim

I did not know that you felt sad when you did not manage to BF Trenyce successfully. I thought you are like most moms who preferred the convenience of formula milk. This time when I am in Singapore, you are welcome to ask me any questions on BF. I will try to help you.

I believe that most moms if they persevered on with BF and don't give up easily their milk supply will definitely come.

May Kim

Hann Hann said...

Hi girl,

ha. i always tell people what ya colleague told you too. that one of the ways to make BF possible is to invest in good (and hence expensive) breastpumps so you will heartpain the money and die die make BF possible!

and you are right as well. don't store infant formula in ya house so u won't think there's a "backup"

another things I always tell mummies is to get a nurse to surpervise you every time u wanta latch baby. make sure u latch correctly. once u go home, nobody will see for you.

also, u must must must tell and insist on total breastfeeding the moment you enter the hospital. Yes, even before baby comes out. Make sure they put the "TBF" sign on ya baby's cot.

the 3Es for successful bf:
1. bf as Early as possible.
put baby to ya breast as soon as baby comes out or as soon as u feel better.

2. bf Efficiently i.e. latch properly and also, sit / lay down in a position that is comfortable and has support for your body.

3. bf Everytime baby wants to be fed. don't worry abt milk not coming in lah, not enough milk lah, all these nonsense.

Our body works on a supply = demand logic. the more baby sucks the more milk will be produced.

Milk come in or not, just latch baby. no milk oso will suck until got milk.

Tracemee said...

Dear Maykim & HannHann,

first of all, thanks for your advice.

however, could you both shed more light to me on how to BF successfully when we mummies have to consume ginger and alcohol during our confinement? this is really my other headache too.

Thanks in advance!

Hann Hann said...

Hann's Mummy siad...

For ginger, you can use it in your cooking to "remove wind" but don't eat it.

Cut the ginger into thin slices instead of tiny strips or chopped. So that you can easily remove from your food.

As for alcohol, my anenatal class teacher (also a Lactation Consultant) said that if it's cooked the alcohol should evaporated thus no prob.

For myself, I didn't take any ginger nor alcohol during my confinement. and no alcohol until now.

Writing Again

Its been a long time since I blogged about my family life. My last entry was actually in 2010. Gosh, thats almost 14 years ago. Life's b...