Sunday, September 10, 2006

2006 NDP Fireworks

We took Trenyce and PIL to Fullerton One on eve of Singapore National Day (8th Aug 06) to view the fireworks. It was the first time that all of us went down to join the crowd viewing the fireworks. It was a fantastic view except that there is this stupid lamp post and palm tree blocking part of our magnificant view. You would understand what I am saying when you looked at the clip (Yippie, I finally figured out the way to show it here!).





While watching the fireworks, an interesting encounter caught my attention. This family of 5 (father, mother with a infant girl & a toddler boy and their maid)were standing in front of us. The father was carrying the son so he could have a better view as it was simply too crowded already whereas the maid was carrying the infant girl, probably abt 13-17mths old. Initially, Trenyce was enjoying the fireworks with us until this little girl who, upon hearing all the loud bangs from the fireworks started crying, she too also joined her in the crying battle. It was so bad that FIL had to eventually took her away to somewhere that she wouldnt see the fireworks in order to pacify her. As for the infant gal, she was not as lucky as Trenyce. Her cries was getting more and more intense as the fireworks continued to burst in the air. The maid was like not knowing what to do. She was trying very hard to coax the infant gal but it didnt help a single bit. The worst thing is the mother aka mom was simply bochap and continue to enjoy the view. She turned her head to calm the gal a few times but when the fire shots went up the sky, she would quickly turn away and continue where she stopped. This happened probably twice but still she didnt give instructions to the maid, so the poor maid didnt dare move away otherwise she would likly get ticked off by them. If its not so crowded, I am quite sure the maid will move away to somewhere quieter to clam the baby gal. The poor maid continued coaxing the infant gal who was crying until her face turned purple and was grabbing anyone that she could grab (she was grabbing my shirt when the maid moved near me) while the parents were enjoying the fireworks. I find this whole thing very ridiculous. How could one mother turn a deaf ear to her crying child? Was it because the place was too noisy that she cant hear her child? Or was it because she thought her child was cheering at the fireworks too? Or was it because the fireworks were so mignaficant that it totally captivated her mind & soul that she forgotten abt her young child who may not be comfortable with the fireworks.

At the instance when the infant girl was grabbing my shirt, I was so heartpain. I felt like carrying her and took her away. She looked terrified at the sight of the fireworks and probably also the sea of strangers around her. Hubby who saw the whole incident too, said to me:"such an irresponsible mother.Fireworks more important than the child. So poor thing, cried till face turned purpled already" Yah, I felt so too. I dont think I will ever allow anything to take over my child's place in my heart.

No comments:

Writing Again

Its been a long time since I blogged about my family life. My last entry was actually in 2010. Gosh, thats almost 14 years ago. Life's b...